SAZMICK BOOKS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Your book can be published in one of the following popular sizes:
PAPERBACKS – COLOUR / B&W
4.37 x 7″ (178 x 111mm) A
5 x 7″ (178 x 127mm)
5 x 8″ (203 x 127mm) Novel
5.06 x 7.81″ (198 x 129mm)
5.25 x 8″ (203 x 133mm)
5.5 x 8.5″ (216 x 140mm) Demy
5.83 x 8.27″ (210 x 148 mm) A5
6 x 9″ (229 x 152mm) US Royal
6.14 x 9.21″ (234 x 156mm) Royal
6.69 x 9.61″ (244 x 170 mm) Pinched Crown
7 x 10″ (254 x 178 mm)
7.44 x 9.69″ (246 x 189mm)
7.5 x 9.25″ (235 x 191mm)
8 x 8″ (203 x 203mm)
8 x 10″ (254 x 203mm)
8 x 10.88″ (276 x 203mm)
8.25 x 11″ (279 x 210mm)
8.268 x 11.693″ (297 x 210mm) A4
8.5 x 8.5″ (216 x 216mm)
8.5 x 9″ (229 x 216mm)
8.5 x 11″ (280 x 216m)
HARDBACKS – COLOUR / B&W
5 x 8″ (203 x 127 mm) Case Lam/Cloth/Dust Jacket
5.5 x 8.5″ (216 x 140mm) Case Lam/Cloth/Dust Jacket
6 x 9″ (229 x 152mm) Case Lam/Cloth/Dust Jacket
6.14 x 9.21″ (234 x 156mm) Case Lam/Cloth/Dust Jacket
6.69 x 9.61″ (244 x 170 mm) Case Lam
7 x 10″ (254 x 178 mm) Case Lam
7.5 x 9.25″ (235 x 191) Case Lam
8 x 8″ (203 x 203) Case Lam
8 x 10.88″ (276 x 203) Case Lam
8.5 x 8.5″ (216 x 216) Case Lam
8.5 x 11″ (280 X 216mm) Case Lam
Custom sizes are available on request.
Between the Author/Customer:
SAZMICK BOOKS, “The Publisher” of 12 Tudor Crescent, Tamworth, Staffs, B77 3HL, UK.
The Author guarantees that he or she has copyright to the Book, manuscript, work of art or other document by virtue of being the creator and/or having license from the copyright owner, and will retain copyright to the Book for the duration of this Agreement.
The Author agrees to engage the Publisher to provide the Publisher’s Publishing Services for self-publishing authors. This Publishing service makes the Book available for retail sales to the public through book wholesalers within the UK and the Internet, where applicable. The Publisher is not responsible for marketing or advertising the book.
The Publisher will provide such other publishing services as may be required by the author at a mutually agreed price.
The Publisher agrees to perform the following tasks (where applicable):
- To arrange and provide an International Standard Book Number(s) (ISBN) if it is required, for each format of the Author’s Book (ie; Paperback, Hardback, E-book).
- To typeset the text and layout the pages into a master digital file suitable for prompt retrieval for either on-demand printing or litho printing, producing an electronic proof for the Author’s approval and to archive the master digital file for the duration of this agreement.
- To assemble a full-colour cover and produce a digital master cover file suitable for prompt retrieval for on-demand printing or litho printing and to produce an electronic proof for the Author’s approval and archive the approved master file for the duration of this Agreement.
- List the title with major book wholesale distributor, Nielsen Book Data.
- To provide a quantity of bound and printed copies of the Author’s book according to and as included in the Author’s chosen publishing package.
- To deposit one copy of the Author’s book with the British Library Legal Deposit.
- Manufacture books on-demand as retail and/or wholesale orders are received and fulfil such orders promptly, with median times of less than 8 working days plus shipping time.
- To fulfil orders made by wholesalers, retailers and/or internet retailers directly from the Publisher’s printer.
- Make quarterly royalty payments, starting in January, to the Author for each copy of their book sold, with the royalty being 100% of the gross margin (retail price, less retail discounts and/or Sazmick admin charge (£1.00), less printing cost).
- To provide bulk print runs on request by the Author, so that the Author can hold their own book stock in addition to or instead of the Publisher’s Print On Demand service. The Author will pay upfront the cost of printing, delivery and the Publisher’s 10% service charge.
- To carry out any other service(s) as listed and agreed within the Author’s chosen publishing package.
Important Typesetting Notes;
- The Publisher will not begin typesetting the Author’s book until ALL documents have been submitted.
- The Publisher will require approval from the Author for the inside text before the book cover is designed or laid out.
- The Publisher will typeset and format the Author’s Book in a typical professional layout – unless otherwise instructed by the Author.
- The Publisher will insert any images provided by the Author and for which the Author has permission to use, according to the number of images included in the Author’s chosen publishing package, into the Author’s Book. Extra image insertions will be charged at £1 per image.
- Any images supplied to the Publisher by the Author should be of print quality and at least 300 dpi. The Publisher will proceed and layout the book with the images supplied by the Author. It is the Author’s responsibility to ensure these images are of sound quality.
- The Publisher will email an electronic proof to the Author for print approval. This proof is for the Author to check over before agreeing to go to print.
- The Publisher will add their logo and copyright page in the traditional locations within/on the author’s book. This is traditional industry practice.
- Please address all emails with your name and book title in the subject line when corresponding with the Publisher.
The Author agrees to perform the following:
- To respond to any requests that the Publisher might make in a timely manner to enable the Publisher to efficiently complete work on the Author’s package(s).
- To provide the Publisher any imagery/artwork to be included within the Author’s Book as laid out in the Sazmick Books Image Submission Guide which can be found on the Publisher’s website www.sazmickbooks.com.
- To provide the Publisher with an electronic file in Microsoft Word of the Author’s manuscript text plus digitally scanned photographs where applicable and/or artwork that may be included in the book as ‘final copy’. Written manuscripts can be typed by the Publisher for an additional charge.
- To return the Publisher’s proof electronically within 30 days with either an acceptance of the proof or highlighted errors made by the Publisher. If the Author wishes to change or alter any of the text or images that has previously been submitted as “final copy” to the Publisher, the Author agrees to pay the Publisher at a rate of £15.00 per hour to make necessary changes with a minimum charge of £15.00.
- To determine a retail price for the Author’s book allowing a 40% discount for retail shops and £1 admin charge for Sazmick channel sales.
- To provide the Publisher with information about the Author and the Book that can be used on the back cover of the book at the same time as providing the text of the book and any dedications etc. that the Author wishes to be included within the Book and to include all internal text as one single file in the correct order, ie; Chapter 1, Chapter 2… etc.
- To provide the Publisher with a promotional text of no more than 100 words describing the book, to be used in the promotion of the book on the Publisher’s website and anywhere else as agreed in the Author’s chosen package.
The Author represents and warrants that he or she is the sole author of the Work and is the owner of the copyright to all of its contents and where any non-original text and/or artwork or photographs are included in the Book the Author agrees they have full written authority to use such text, artwork or photographs from the originator and owner of the copyright.; that he or she has not engaged in plagiarism with respect to the Work; that the Work is accurate in all respects, i.e., that if fiction, it represents no real event or person in a way that could be deemed libellous; that if non-fiction, it does not mis-state any material fact or omit to state any material fact, the result of which would libel any person or result in a person being placed in a false or damaging light; and that the Work does not infringe upon any statutory or common law right of copyright or privacy of any third party; that he or she is owner of any trademarks and/or trade names associated with the Work; that the Work does not constitute obscenity of any kind or hate literature and that the author has the right to enter into this Agreement.
The Author agrees to indemnify Sazmick Books and its employees, shareholders, directors, representatives, successors and assumes any and all liability for all and any manner of claims, liabilities, damages, expenses (including reasonable legal fees), awards, and judgments resulting from claims of (i) third parties regarding ownership, libel, slander, plagiarism, privacy, misappropriation, and similar claims arising from publication of the Work; (ii) Author’s breach of any warranty in this Agreement. The Author agrees to assume any and all liability for the complete content of the Book and to hold the Publisher harmless from any liability arising from the content provided by the Author.
You Own All Rights To Your Work
The Author acknowledges and agrees that Sazmick Books acquires no right of ownership to the Work under this Agreement; that Sazmick Books is a provider of limited services only as governed by the invoices on which the Author has paid for services (i.e, publishing services, printing, design and web site development) and assumes no responsibility for reviewing or correcting the content of the Work.
Sazmick Books will provide to the Author on request, the digital files used to produce the final work (exclusive of any licensed software).
Both Parties agree:
- This agreement is non-exclusive and either party may terminate the agreement at any time on delivering immediate written notice without any necessary cause provided only that all outstanding compensation becomes the respective party’s debt and pre-existing payment obligations remain on both parties.
- The laws of England and Wales shall apply and the parties agree to use binding arbitration in England to resolve any irreconcilable dispute between the parties.
- The Publisher does not warrant that their website www.sazmickbooks.com will be constantly uninterrupted or error free. The Publisher agrees however to use due diligence and reasonable care in maintaining its website.
- Changes to this agreement may be necessary from time to time to reflect the evolution of the Publisher’s service to self-publishing Authors and the Author will be notified in such an eventuality, provided either party retains the right to terminate at any time without liability for any damages from this agreement except payment of outstanding debts.
- The Author at all times retains whatever copyright and other publishing rights possessed by the Author at the time this agreement is signed.
- The Publisher will not be responsible for any loss of, or damage to materials submitted by the Author including manuscripts, memory drives, diskettes, CDs, artwork and photographs that are affected outside of the Publisher’s control, Eg; but not limited to; in transit during postage.
- The Publisher will not be responsible for any consequential loss as a result of quality issues for any services provided, that are either completed in-house or outsourced, (Eg; but not limited to printed materials including books, damage in transit etc).
- The Publisher may subcontract all or parts of its services to other independent companies as long as all the commitments to the Author are upheld.
- The Publisher does not market, advertise or publicise the Author’s Book except where already agreed according to the Author’s chosen publishing package. The sales and marketing of the Author’s Book is entirely the responsibility of the Author.
- The Publisher may print copies of your book for promotional use at, for example, exhibitions and speaking engagements etc so long as this is at no cost to the author.
** This Agreement is the full agreement and all its terms.**